Saturday, June 14, 2014

Day 10

DAY 10

Today was a really upsetting day for me. The things I saw and learned I wish I could un-see. We started the day with a normal company visit. We visited the Saigon Newport Corporation and got to witness a shipyard at work. It was really cool. I asked a few questions about how exactly such a business functions and how the government is involved in the ongoing operations.


It was after the company visit however that we visited the War Remnants Museum. Now, I’m intelligent enough to recognize propaganda when I see it. As an engineer I question all information for it’s merit and value. But regardless of the obvious propaganda, certain facts are facts. And it is a fact that America committed some heinous war crimes in Vietnam. I think I’ve mentioned before how distasteful and stupid I find most wars to be. But this may be the dumbest war I’ve ever studied. We got involved to halt the spread of a form of communism that wasn’t even harming us. We sacrificed not only thousands of American lives but took the lives of millions of Vietnamese citizens. These are people that could easily have grown up to be engineers, entrepreneurs, inventors, and leaders. As a growing bio-engineer there is nothing that upsets me more than the loss of a life that could have been prevented.

I have been raised to believe that deep down people are naturally good.  People care for one another because without something to care for, to fight for, to work for, life loses it’s meaning. The problem with our world today is that people care for different things. And when something one person cares for is taken from them, they seek to destroy whatever it is that has hurt them. It’s an ongoing cycle of vengeance. That’s why my parents have always raised me to care for not just myself, my family, or even my country, but care for people as a whole. That’s why I want to become a bioengineer. I don’t give a damn if America is superior to all other countries, I give a damn about the people that live in all these countries. I care about making the lives of these people better. That’s my cause and I really wish other people shared it. War is pointless and disgusting. It accomplishes nothing but misery. My views maybe considered childish and foolish by many, but I argue that it’s those that strive to solve problems through force that are childish and weak.

No comments:

Post a Comment